Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Following up on Eudy Simelane, Global Girl Media, and the subject of rape and homophobia in South Africa

Young women in Soweto produced two video segments about homophobia, rape, and the situation of black lesbians in South Africa. These segments were produced through Global Girl Media, a project which directs young women in producing media about the issues that matter to them most.


Zandile, one of the Global Girl reporters talks about her sister Busi, who was assaulted in one of these homophobic rapes.


Once again, I renew the wish that Eudy Simelane (a former South African national team player murdered in one of these assaults) would be remembered at one of the World Cup matches. (Click here to sign a petition.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback? Let me know what you think. Just an FYI: all comments posted to this blog are recorded, whether I publish them or not. I do not publish generally hateful comments - whether they be directed at me or at players and teams or other readers. I appreciate reader feedback, especially from those whose contributions add nuance and complexity to the story.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...